Monday, August 20, 2012

I remember a guest speaker at Harding one time, some kind of enterprising business leader, who talked about how he arranged his life to be a better Dad. He worked extra hard 4 days out of the week so he could have 3 day weekends with his family. His son was born with some kind of devastating condition, or so the doctors said, but daily he kept praying, massaging the baby's limbs and telling him reassuring words about his wondrous abilities and as the boy grew, he overcame the diagnoses. I've never forgotten that story.

More than anything, a child must know they are loved and cherished. I don't pretend that Logan's autism will magically go away, but I am sure he'll do better if he knows that he's wonderfully made. Yes, he is neurally and behaviorally atypical right now, but God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. There are more important things than being faster, better, stronger, more graceful, or more clever (though we should all do our personal bests) and daily I'm reminded of that. There's a place and a purpose for everyone under heaven, and Logan was put here to bring glory to God. I know our Lord delights in him, and I do too!

No comments: